Sunday 8 February 2009

It's cold outside, but warm in here


Ah yes it's cold outside. but I've got roast pork and roast potatoes in the oven, the fire is roaring and my wine glass is full....can it get better than that? Actually, yes it is cold, but it is now 6.30 pm, and I must add that although I awoke to Jack Frost's sprinkling, the sun came out, the temperature rose and it has been a beautiful day...more than I can say for some. There's something very cozy about cold Sunday nights and roast dinners, can't quite put my finger on it, but I reckon it's because as a child I always dreaded Sundays - "family days" - but the "family" bit always meant nan & grandad coming round, (or vice versa), and all the grown-ups falling asleep after lunch or dinner, and us kids having to tip-toe around trying not to make any noise! AND no shops were open......perish the thought!! Anyway, thanks to mum & dad,(god bless him, well maybe not god, he was an atheist!), I now realise just what they meant when they kept saying: "you will see when you've got children, you will learn to appreciate Sundays as a day of rest".....and , boy, were they right!! Now I just have to keep telling it to my kids!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment