Wednesday 13 May 2009

THOUGHTS ABOUT BECOMING A CHEF DE CUISINE

chef1 chef

My eldest son has taken a week out from school this week to do his first work experience, (they start them young in France).  After months of swapping and changing his mind about which field to work in he finally decided to follow in his mother’s footsteps and chose the hotel/restaurant trade.  This surprised me as normally he doesn’t like to get his hands dirty, but, and in his words, “I love to eat so being around fine food all day would be good”.  I’m not sure it’s good enough reason to become a chef but you never know.  So he started in the kitchen of a local hotel on Monday.  The hours are pretty cool, 10.30am to 3pm, but invariably I get a call at around 2pm saying that he’s finished early.  Unfortunately I have been unable to get him to do anything else for the rest of the day as he’s too tired after, “A long hard day at work”!  4 hours…4 hours in a kitchen and he’s good for nothing!  I think that maybe next time I’ll sign him up for work experience as a parent..cook, cleaner, manager, chamber maid,  juggler, taxi driver, accountant, referee etc..the list could go on forever, in fact by doing all that he could become a highly qualified person!!

2 comments:

  1. I do hear you. Moms juggle a lot of different things. But I also hear that working in a restaurant kitchen is exhausting.

    Then again, maybe it's in the mind.

    I also hear that chefs retire young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I was just kidding, Ruth. He's only 15 but the good news is he's enjoying it and that's what counts. I think he'll be glad to hear chefs retire young, though, hee hee!

    ReplyDelete