Monday 11 May 2009

FROM THE SUN DOWN UNDER TO THE LAND OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN

q1 These two pictures I took in Sydney, Australia, the top one was taken from one of the upper decks of the QE2, looking down on all the people who had travelled to Sydney Harbour to see her sail in, don’t they look tiny.  Strangely enough, whilst I was up there taking that photo, somebody on the quayside recognized me, and I could just here this tiny voice above the din calling my name.  It turned out to be an ex crew member of another ship on which I had worked who was on holiday in Sydney..small world eh??  Below you can see the ship in the harbour with the Sydney Opera House in the background.  

q2 q3 One of many busy High Streets in Hong Kong, look at the signs, if you can see them, it seems that they are very keen to make people leave the country, there are an abundance of Travel Services!!

q4 Ah, the New York skyline as it used to be, pre 2001, on Trans-Atlantic crossings New York was a second home.  And below the famous Statue of Liberty, kindly donated by the French, I might add!

q5 q7

I passed my lifeboat pilots test in Alaska, and also my class 1 firefighting certificate… the fire thing sounds really swanky, but it’s really just the basics in case of a fire on board.  But the lifeboat, I was first in command of my own boat it was pretty important stuff…But thankfully, apart from regular fire drills, I never had to use it!

q8

Above, the beautiful Fjords of Norway, the land of the midnight sun, and they’re not kidding, it gets dusky but never dark.  It got pretty confusing sometimes when there was a party on deck, we lost all track of time and before we knew it, it was morning and time for work!!  Happy days!  And last but not least the beautiful clear waters of the Caribbean, year round sunshine and blue skies…can’t be bad!

q6

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou for the world cruise Akim, great pictures. How marvellous that you were actually being paid to visit these places ( just with a little work in between) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol..you're welcome Delphine, yes it was pretty fantastic!

    ReplyDelete