Wednesday 28 January 2009

No regrets

Afternoon all. Thanks to delphine for the comment, I was beginning to think I was alone here! I've been thinking about the cruise liner bit, and trying to remember some of the funny comments that people make, or made, on board the ship. Once the captain was inspecting a burst pipe with water spilling everywhere, when a lady came running up to him crying "captain, captain! There's water pouring down the stairwell!!", to which the captain calmly replied, "madam, you only need to worry if there's water going UP the stairwell!". One person once asked me, "does this elevator go up AND down?"....I have fond memories of the times when real down-to-earth celebreties came down to the depths of the ship, to the crew bar, (where they are not normally allowed), and performed especially for us. I remember Petula Clarke singing "Down Town" for us, then she sat and drank a can of beer with us, (out of the can!), a real nice lady. And Paul Daniels came "down town" to show us some tricks, to this day I still have no idea how he got the watch off of the wrist of the person sitting next to me....but then again, that probably was a few bottles of wine into the evening!! We worked relatively hard, and we partied even harder, and there was always plenty of time for shore leave. I think my favourite place I visited was Alaska, so much to do there, a mixture of sunshine, snow and big brown bears that love to steel your picnic!! Mexico was nice too, there are some great restaurants in Acapulco. Carlos 'n' Charlies was always a favourite and, oddly enough, I came accross a shirt that I bought from there all those years ago, and I just noticed that on the label, just under the logo, it's marked, "Wash when dirty", no kidding!! Anyway, enough of all that, although I reckon I'd rather be sitting under that mexican sun right now, and not in the freezing cold here in France.....Or would I???

No comments:

Post a Comment