Wednesday 21 January 2009

And a new day dawns

If there are any americans popping in, way to go Barack!  What a touching ceremony, and everything went just as planned.  Although I didn't envy the majorettes in those little outfits in that freezing cold weather.  My children complained almost all the way through, they couldn't quite grasp that it was an important event in history; "important for the americans maybe, but we're english!!", is all they kept saying.  I'm finding it a little difficult to concentrate this afternoon as the children don't have school on Wednesday afternoons, and they have done nothing but argue!  Talking of school, I was very shocked last night when my daughter, who is preparing an "all about me" card for open day, came home from school and said that her English teacher, (who is French), told her that she cannot write "apple tart" on her card as you can't say that in English!  She suggested that she replace it with "apple PIE", as the word "tart" was inappropriate.  I politely suggested that should she look in her dictionary she would find that tart and pie are not the same thing, and that any inappropriate use of the word was in fact slang.  What do they teach teachers these days?  It's not like it's a technical mechanical term that a secondary school teacher would not need to know!!   Anyway, If anyone should know about apple tart it's the French, I could bet my boots if I went to a restaurant and asked what the dessert of the day was, it would be apple tart every time!!!.................Did you hear the one about the shetland poney with a sore throat?...He was a little hoarse!! Ok, Ok I'm signing off for now, until next time........  

No comments:

Post a Comment