Tuesday 28 April 2009

MAY BANK HOLIDAY, HOPE THE WEATHER IS GOOD





May bank holiday is fast approaching, and lots of you will be planning your long weekend. I wondered where the traditional Maypole Dancing originated from, thinking it was English, but have discovered in actual fact, it is probably Germanic or from ancient Babylon.


I did find an interesting article about it on Wikipedia, it was apparently first created as a pagan fertility rite, many moons ago. I was going to paste the article on here but it was a little saucy, so I decided just to skirt around the finer details.


As you can see from the pictures, it has been celebrated for many years in the UK by children and grown ups alike. I remember being taught how to dance round the Maypole at primary school, and although it is fast fading out of fashion, there are still small villages in England that still carry on the tradition.Well, I hope the weather holds out for your Bank Holiday weekend. Enjoy, and if your dancing round the Maypole...don't get tied up in the ribbons!!










No comments:

Post a Comment